Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Are Students Engaged More When Using Digital Game Based Learning?

Schaaf, R. (2012). Does digital game-based learning improve student time-on-task behavior and engagement in comparison to alternative instructional strategies?. The Canadian Journal of Action Research13(1), 50-64.  http://journals.nipissingu.ca/index.php/cjar/article/view/30


Digital game-based learning seems to becoming more and more popular lately. I just recently started hearing about it and I wanted to look more into it. In my district, we are being pushed to do more and more guided math and focus on small group differentiated instruction. I wanted to look more into digital game-based learning to see if this would be a possible approach for my centers during guided math. Obviously I would need more technology in my classroom first, however, I recently applied to begin a pilot in my classroom so I am hoping to to get more technology soon.  As I was looking into DGBL (digital game-based learning), I came across a study done in Maryland on digital game-based learning.

A study was done on elementary students, ages 8 to 10 years old, from an affluent school district in Maryland. The students were put into two groups, an experimental group and a control group to determine whether or not students were more engaged and on task with DGBL rather than with research-based learning strategies. They explained that the digital-game based learning activities that were used were selected by a specific group of teachers. They pre-screened the games to determine whether or not they met lesson objectives. The study was done over an 8 lesson cycle totaling 16 instructional hours. After each lesson, students in both groups were given attitudinal surveys to gather information on the students engagement during the lesson and whether or not they enjoyed the lesson. During the time-on task observations, specific students were chosen to focus on and study for 2 minutes at a time. At the end of the study, students in both groups were given an exit ticket survey. This survey was used to collect data that was then tabulated and analyzed.

The results of the study found that DGBL did have a strong impact on student engagement. In the report, the author stated that "the adoption [of digital game-based learning] into mainstream education may meet with resistance. Certain taboos about digital games must be overcome before the education field embraces it" (Schaaf, 2012). I find this to be true because I feel that veteran teachers who are not sold on the idea of technology in the classroom, would be against "video games" in the classroom. They did also point out that some of the trial students showed that the other research-based learning strategies showed more engagement on time on task behaviors than the DGBL. This makes sense to me because I feel that not all students are into video games and they may not learn best by playing on a computer or other device. They may learn better by listening to a teacher talk and explain something or they may learn better by being hands on and creating. The author ends the  report with a person suggestion, saying that "DGBL should be utilized in lesson plans when appropriate. Teachers should consider incorporating DBGL into instruction to provide a fun and engaging experience for students" (Schaaf, 2012). I agree with this because I think it can be used as a supplemental means of instruction but not as the primary source. Therefore, I plan to continue looking into DGBL and specific games and resources that I can use to incorporate into my teaching currently with just 5 laptops until I am given more technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment